The Barony of Cartsburn in the Baronage of Scotland was erected into a barony, and a burgh of barony with the privilege of a weekly market and several fairs, in favour of Thomas Crawford of Cartsburn by a charter of Charles II dated 16 July 1669 (NAS Ref. C2/62/1/57), when the lands of Cartsburn in the Parish of Easter Greenock in the Shire of Renfrew were erected in liberam baroniam, as a free Barony held of the Prince and Great Steward of Scotland ..
The estate of Cartsburn, also known as Crawfurdsburn, incorporated the lands of Cartsdyke, or Crawfurdsdyke, and part of the lands of Easter Greenock Castle.
 Williamson, G. (1894). Old Cartsburn: being a History of the Estate from the Year 1669, downwards, with notices of the families of Kilbirnie, Jordanhill and Cartsburn and Excerpts from the Baron Court Book of Cartsburn. Paisley: Alexander Gardner.
 Weir, D. (1829). History of the town of Greenock. London: Whittaker & Co.
The last Crown Charter for the Barony of Cartsburn was granted on 12th May 1858 to Thomas McKnight Crawfurd of Cartsburn and Lauriston Castle, 8th Baron of Cartsburn (1856-